Friday, March 25, 2011

He ain’t heavy

About forty years ago I would sit behind a drum kit at four thirty every Saturday. John Tassone my drum teacher puffed on his pipe and would start the record and I would try to play along with the music. More often than not I would have stop and restart the music. One Saturday he started a song called "He ain't heavy he's my brother". I had real trouble playing that song for the simple reason I was picturing the lyrics in my mind. I was picturing a man carrying another man. I really didn't realize until many years later what that song was all about.

The road is long with many of winding turns
That lead us to who knows where,
who knows where
But I'm strong,
strong enough to carry him
He ain't heavy, he's my brother
So on we go
His welfare is my concern
No burden is he to bear, we'll get there
For I know
he would not encumber me
He ain't heavy, he's my brother
If I'm laden at all,
I am laden with sadness that
everyone's heart isn't filled with the gladness
of Love for one another
It's a long long road
From which there is no return
while we're on our way to there why not share
And the load doesn't weigh me down at all
He ain't heavy , he's my brother
He ain't heavy
He's my brother

"The Hollies"

This song it seems means even more today I would think that during the current difficulty you must know someone who you might carry. After all he ain't heavy .

No comments:

Post a Comment