Wednesday, May 5, 2010

Why outside the lines?

When I was a child in grade school the teacher wanted us to color inside the lines. Unfortunately, I was one of those children who just couldn’t do that. This blog will be along that same vein, I want people to realize that solving our problems large and small requires we think outside the lines.

We have been locked into what used to be! We must throw that yoke off and think with bold strokes. Have you ever thought what makes one place different than the next? Why other cities are more successful than others? My contention is that they take Robert Kennedy’s words to heart. “Some people see things as they are and say why, I see things that never were and say why not.”

We here in Lorain specifically and in the county at large must begin to think along those same lines. Why are there no wind turbines all along the shoreline? Why are there no solar cells on every tall building? Can we not find a way to have the college team with the cities to provide actual training for students and power for the city saving money in the process? Yes, there are obstacles to overcome! However, we must overcome them move on or watch our sister cites prosper while we sink deeper into the rust. I hope to explore a new idea a radical idea to get you thinking and saying “why not!

3 comments:

  1. Actually, those words were spoken by George Bernard Shaw well before Robert Kennedy.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sorry Jim, those aren't Robert Kennedy's words.

    George Bernard Shaw, "Back to Methuselah", 1921: You see things; and you say, 'Why?' But I dream things that never were; and I say, "Why not?"

    ReplyDelete
  3. I stand corrected. however, I hope you understand the point I was making.

    ReplyDelete