Thursday, December 15, 2011

Commandments

I got to thinking about the Ten Commandments and if as a society we were following them or ignoring them. Actually, there is no real way of proving my theory without a lot of folks and people asking questions and all that research stuff. Consequently, I just will do my off the cuff usual what I think from what I notice in everyday life.

Let's start from the number one position.
1. Thou shalt have no other gods before me. Okay now you have to wonder what that means exactly. For instance if you mean statues and the like I think we are doing well there I don't see folks worshiping idols. However, if you're talking something like the old mighty dollar then we got problems; I think a lot of folks definitely worship that dollar bill. 2. Thou shalt not make unto thee any graven image or any likeness of anything. I think this one goes to our material gain and how worship our vehicles, cell phones, houses etc. Some of us can't be without these things at anytime. So, we pretty much get an d minus on that one.

3.
Thou shalt not take the name of the LORD thy God in vain. I believe we have actually improved on this one. I very seldom hear the old G…D…. in private and never in public.

4. Remember the Sabbath day, to keep it holy. Well, we can forget about this one almost universally, I can't think of a person I know who actually does the full day of keeping the Sabbath holy. 5. Honor thy father and thy mother:
This one is so personal that It would be hard to tell if we are doing good or bad. I think that all of us at one time or another have failed to honor our parents but, from what I have observed we generally do a pretty good job. 6. Thou shalt not kill. I think you all can figure this one out on your own. 7.
Thou
shalt not commit adultery.
Again, I don't believe that we have to go far to figure this one out. I would be willing to bet that this one is pretty high up on the broken commandments hit list. 8. Thou shalt not steal. From the number of people in jail I will say we get an "F". 9. Thou shalt not bear false witness against thy neighbor. This is the one I always thought was thou shalt not lie. Seems it means you shouldn't lie about your neighbor. I think we do pretty well on this one I don't believe we do a lot of lying on each other in normal society. Where lots of money is involved and the chance to step on someone's face to get ahead I believe lying on each other probably goes on quite a bit. 10.

Thou shalt not covet. Another hard to judge commandment due to the fact this one is real personal and unless you let the cat out of the bag and say something like "I wish I had bill's house" then who will know? (Except god of course).

Just something that had crossed my mind at this time of year. I wonder if god has everyone in to the conference room and has a year in review.


 


 


 


 

No comments:

Post a Comment