Wednesday, March 21, 2012

PSA VELOCITY

Let's talk PSA velocity and why it may be important. Simply, PSA velocity is the amount of rise in the PSA level in a specific amount of time. Having a rise of more than 0.35 might be a problem depending on who you talk with. Additionally, the significance of the rise is related to history of prostate cancer in the family, positive or negative digital rectal exam and the previous PSA level and or previous prostate biopsy.

Now, in my case the PSA velocity was is in question due to having my PSA drawn and sent to labs which use different routines. My PSA from a local hospital was 4.04 the same sample was sent to an outside lab with a result of 5.0. Consequently my PSA velocity was fast on one test and really fast on another. Thus my provider decided to add an additional test to help interpret my PSA and velocity.

Next time free psa and what it means in diagnosis.

Note: This information is my own interpretation of the facts as I know them in my specific case.

No comments:

Post a Comment